Thursday, November 9, 2017

"You Rule" ~ A Really Cute Gift Card Holder & Birthday Greeting


Today's design team post is for Itsy Bitsy and uses the new Jungle Birthday clear stamp set. There are so many cute stamps and sayings in this set that I know I will be using it alot! I started by making a cute gift card holder that's built right into the card...follow along to find out how easy it is to make...

So here is the template I used for the dimensions to make this A2 sized card. (It will fit in a regular envelope). I started by cutting an 8.5" x 11" sheet of mustard colored cardstock from my stash in half long ways. Then I scored it 2" from the bottom and again 7.5" from the bottom. The bottom flap gets folded up and becomes the pocket for holding the gift card. The top flap folds down and becomes the focal panel of the card front.


I trimmed the tan polka dotted patterned paper from the Retro Style paper pack to fit on both of the front panels and inside the card.


Using my die cut machine, I cut one Stitched Square from White Cardstock and then using the next 2 smaller dies, I simply embossed with them instead of cutting with them. Every brand of machine will be different in how you can do this, but for mine I made the "sandwich" from the bottom up using a magnetic platform, my dies with the cutting blade facing up, my cardstock, a tan embossing mat and an embossing plate. Google it and I bet you can easily find instructions for embossing using dies and your specific machine. The result is that the shape of the die basically becomes impressed in the cardstock and as such it makes a nice frame for my stamped image.


I stamped the Lion in the center of the embossed squares using Black chalk ink and then colored it using Watercolor Pencils and a water brush. I did the same using the tree branch and several of the sentiments for the inside greeting. This chalk ink works beautifully with many different coloring mediums when stamping! 


As you can see, when coloring with watercolor pencils, you don't need to color the images in completely -just use the waterbrush to spread the color around -it's like magic and is alot of fun to do. I adhered the Lion panel to the card front using Mini Foam Squares for the added dimension it gave.


To add to the feel of the Lion being the King of the Jungle, I added a Cream Skeleton Leaf accent to the bottom pocket panel using a tiny bit of glue on the spine of the leaf. To hold the pocket closed so that the gift card doesn't fall out, I wrapped Jute Twine around it twice and tied it in a knot.


When you lift the top flap, you'll see inside the pocket where a gift card is tucked in below the birthday greeting...I used a thin lined black pen to draw the dots in the sentiment for added interest.


What a cute and easy way to give someone you care for a gift card to one of their favorite places. Just change the patterned paper and the stamps out to make this suitable for any special occasion that comes your way all year long.


Until next time, happy crafting with Itsy Bitsy~




No comments:

Post a Comment