Thursday, September 21, 2017

Mixed Media Vintage Love Card


Hello...Kathy here today with a fun mixed-media resist technique using products and supplies from Itsy Bitsy for you to try in your paper crafting and card making. I started my project out with the gorgeous Retro Style paper pack, the White Cards pack and a tag die. I cut the tags in white and trimmed my papers to layer on the card front. The base layer is really elegant looking because those black squares are embossed and shiny. There are actually quite a good bit of embossed elements included within the papers of this pack...both glossy black and some metallic elements!


Using the Acrylic Matte Medium and a palette knife, I applied the medium through the Lattice Stencil  onto my patterned paper after taping it to my craft mat. It takes a little while to dry and the time it takes does depend on how thick of a layer you apply. So I removed the stencil and washed it off right away -then I set the piece aside to dry while I worked on the rest of the card.


To decorate the tags, I stamped them using the Hand Carved Flourishes Printing Block and Black Chalk Ink. Now because there is no cushion, as this is carved from wood, I found that I got the best impression by placing my tag on top of a thin piece of foam first and applying a good bit of pressure using the heel of my hand.


The sentiments are also embossed and were hand trimmed from one of the patterned papers and some edges were torn before I inked them with the Vintage Photo Distress Ink. I tied the Crochet Lace at the top of both tags for added interest.


Once the stenciled matte medium was completely dry, it was ready to be used as a resist. So I blended  Vintage Photo ink all over it and then immediately wiped it off the top of the medium using a wet baby wipe. (this is a bit messy -I ended up with brown, ink stained fingers during the process, so don't say I didn't warn you, lol!) Using this technique, the stencil pattern gets a bit of raised texture to it with a clear, matte finish and the negative stencil parts soak up the brown ink to show the contrast nicely.


Using lots of foam dots, I adhered the layers to my card front and wrapped it with some of the lace too...so pretty! The last step was using a thin lined black marking pen to write in the additions to the sentiments..."best" on the front and "of my life" on the inside.


Using the ink that was left on the blending tool, I did a bit of stenciling on the inside of the card too. I love showcasing what a good stencil can do!


That's it for me today -thanks for sticking with me to the end and I hope this will inspire you to try something new in your card making. Until next time~ Happy Crafting with Itsy Bitsy!





No comments:

Post a Comment