Friday, May 5, 2017

Never Give Up Hope!

Today's card was made using the sketch @ Mojo Monday , will be applied @ Watercooler Wednesday for the WWC117 - Heidi's Feminine "Anything Goes" Challenge
 and will be the second card that I enter over at the Simon Says Stamp "Hint of Pink" challenge. I made it for the young mom of one of my former  pre-K students who will soon be undergoing treatment for newly diagnosed breast cancer. This disease has touched almost everyone's life...I lost an aunt several years ago and my Grandma is currently in treatment also. I am a firm believer that we need to raise awareness and support those in need all year long -NOT just during the month of October!





















 The stamps I am using on the card front are from TAC (on the left + in the middle) and Amuse Studio (on the right). I trimmed all the card stock layers in pink, white and 2 shades of gray according to the sketch to fit the front of my A2 side folding white card base.


Next up, I inked the large Swirled background stamp in Versamark ink, making sure to first rub the larger of the 2 white squares (this one is from watercolor paper) with my ScraPerfect's  Perfect Crafting Pouch to remove any static from the paper that would cause the embossing powder to stick where I don't want it to....Confession Time...I didn't do this the first time around and ended up with a horrible mess! My whole square was covered in embossing powder and there was no way to salvage it with even a tiny paint brush! So I brushed all the powder off, turned my cardstock over and started again -using the Pouch before stamping this time, lol! I got a perfect impression and learned a valuable lesson! After I heat set the silver embossing powder, I used the Perfect Cleaning Cloth (not pictured) to remove any residual powder from the cardstock so that I could watercolor in the next step.


To watercolor over the embossed background, I smooshed my dye based ink onto my craft mat, spritzed it with water, picked up the color on my brush and painted a nice wash.


While that was drying, I stamped the solid ribbon to the left on the smaller piece of  white cardstock in pink Palette ink then lined up the outline stamp and stamped over the pink in Versamark so that I could heat emboss it in the silver powder. I inked the edges of that piece in charcoal ink for contrast and then stamped HOPE in Versamark on the darker gray strip and embossed it in pink powder.


The pink panel and light gray panel were both adhered flat onto the card front but the rest of the layers were popped up with some foam pop dots for added dimension. I then sponged around the edges of the entire card front with charcoal ink.


For the inside of my card, I stamped the top sentiment in pink ink and the bottom (I think this stamp came from a Close To My Heart sympathy set) sentiment in charcoal ink. This smaller ribbon is a wood mounted stamp from Stampin' Up that I stamped in Versamark ink on black cardstock and heat embossed with pink powder before I fussy cut it out and adhered it. As you can see at the bottom, my initial stamp bled through a bit from the back of the card...looks like it's time to invest in some heavier weight card bases, sigh.


Until next time~

20 comments:

  1. Kathy what a beautiful and thoughtful tribute to a woman undergoing her treatment journey. This card is simply great inside and out. I'm hooked on that sentiment "fight like a girl" and the glimmery pink ribbon. This was a great layout and I love all the elements you've put together. Thanks for reminding us and raising our awareness to this brutal disease and for joining us at Heidi's WWC117 Feminine Anything Goes Challenge at Watercooler Wednesday Challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous card for the cause!! Thanks for joining us at Mojo Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy, I agree that we have to raise awareness and your card certainly does that. Beautifully crafted and planned out. I love all the details, especially the silver embossing. Combining the three challenges worked seamlessly. I love that you continued stamping into the card as well, adding the pink glimmery ribbon and that awesome sentiment. Thanks so much for joining my Feminine Anything Goes challenge over at our Watercooler Wednesday Challenge this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so saddened to hear about this young mum who is battling this disease ... what a fabulous and thoughtful tribute you have done for her. I'm sure she will be over whelmed to receive such a thoughtful and beautiful card. Thank you for joining us in Heidi's WWC117 Feminine Anything Goes Challenge at Watercooler Wednesday Challenges.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you -this disease is so heartbreaking!!!

      Delete
  5. You are correct that everyone has been touched by this disease, either personally or through a family member or friend. Having s strong support group can make a huge difference to someone going through it. Your card will touch many hearts, I'm sure. Thanks for sharing this with us at Watercooler Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I truly hope that someday this truth will no longer be a reality and that breast cancer will become rare! :(

      Delete
  6. You have done a really beautiful job with this card! Sometimes these cards are among the hardest to make and yet sometimes I think these are the most important! Letting those who are fighting know they are not alone is huge! I alos love how you have given a great step out on how you did this! Beautiful job! And thank you for joining us in Heidi's WWC117 Feminine Anything Goes Challenge at Watercooler Wednesday Challenges.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks -I know from experience that knowing you have support can be a lifeline!

      Delete
  7. Such a lovely card, sad that is is for someone going through such an awful time. It is an awful disease.
    Thank you for sharing with us at Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very pretty card! Thanks for joining us this week at Watercooler Challenges for Heidi's Anything Goes Feminine Challenge! Please join us again!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely card, Kathy! Thanks for joining us this week at Watercooler Wednesday Challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So lovely, I love the embossed background. Watercooler Wednesday Challenges.

    ReplyDelete